Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Training Course
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course, equipping people with the knowledge and skills to be able to spot the signs and symptoms of someone experiencing mental ill health issues. The course develops people’s confidence to then signpost someone to the appropriate support.
Having trained Mental Health First Aiders helps to facilitate conversations about mental health. This reduces the stigma around mental health and will have a positive effect on your organisation's culture and employee wellbeing.
You will receive a certificate from Mental Health First Aid England on completion of the course.
While we are working on it, this course is currently not available online. Contact us to add your name to the waiting list and we'll let you know when we have an update. Take a look at our Live Online Learning page for interactive two-hour sessions that cover specific skills such as working from home, engaging remote meetings, using Zoom, and more.
Public Sector Price£300*
- *per person, excluding VAT
Class size12 approx.
Mental Health First Aid courses have been designed for everyone. You don't need to have any prior knowledge of mental health. We would recommend this to anyone, but some of the people who may especially benefit from this course include line managers and HR professionals.
What you will learn
The course equips people to be able to support an individual and assist with the situation until professional care can be administered.
A Mental Health First Aider is not someone who prescribes treatment or determines diagnosis.
During this two-day course, you will learn:
- An in-depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Develop confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to the appropriate support eg Employee Assistance Programme, self-help resources, the NHS, or an external body such as Alcoholics Anonymous
- The training provides a detailed plan regarding steps a MHF Aider takes when identifying someone experiencing mental ill health issues – called the ALGEE action plan. The acronym stands for Approach, Listen, Give support, Encourage to seek professional support, Encourage support others.
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental active listening.
- Two-day face-to-face course with four sessions — see below for more information
- Learning takes place through a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities
- Each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan - ALGEE
- Why Mental Health First Aid?
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan - ALGEE
- What is mental health?
- Impact of mental health issues
- Stigma and discrimination
- What is depression?
- Symptoms of depression
- Risk factors for depression
- Depression in the workplace
- Suicide figures
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid for suicidal crisis
- Non-judgemental listening skills
- First aid for depression
- Treatment and resources for depression
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- First aid for anxiety disorders
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
- Cognitive distortions and CBT
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders
- What is psychosis?
- Risk factors for psychosis
- Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Warning signs of developing psychosis
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Recovery and building resources
- Action planning for using MHFA
Please be aware that this course covers subjects that some people may find distressing, including suicide and self-harm. However, if you feel overwhelmed you can leave at any time. Please speak to our friendly team if you are unsure whether our MHFA course is right for you.
After the course
Everyone who completes the course receives:
- A certificate from Mental Health First Aid England
- A manual covering the information covered in the sessions
- A quick reference card for the Mental Health First Aid action plan — ALGEE
- A workbook including a helpful toolkit to support your own mental health.
Group Learning Events
If you have five or more learners, a private group event could be cheaper.
We can tailor the content to your team, and host the workshop inhouse at your workplace or here at Happy's HQ in Aldgate, Central London.
What's it like to learn with Happy?
We offer complete individual involvement and participation on all of our workshops. In this video, Nicky delivers a short session about the different Communication Styles, and how they affect the way you work with and manage others.
The Small Print
Each day of the course will run from 9am to 5pm (lunch is served 1pm to 1:45pm — we offer a choice of 3 cold bowl dishes). Please be careful to arrive by 8.45am for registration and refreshments. The course will start precisely on time and it may not be possible to go back over material missed by late arrivals. If you arrive over 30 minutes late you may be asked to leave and attend another day.
Please ensure you read our Terms and Conditions before booking for our payment terms and cancellation policy.
The happy Guarantee
We want everyone to go away from our courses feeling as though they have learnt useful, practical skills that they can use straight away when they go back to work.
If you don’t feel that your training has been useful or if you are unhappy in any way, please get in touch with our Customer Services team within 30 days of the course. We will be happy to offer you additional support and training free of charge to help you to gain the skills you need, or if you’d prefer, a full refund.
Did you know...
...the Health and Safety Executive have a simple guide to carrying out risk assessments for stress, on their website?
It identifies demands, control, support, relationships, role and change as six areas of work design that can affect stress levels.
Take a look at some of Happy's other leadership and personal development workshops.
Managing Conflict at Work to enable you to locate the causes of conflict and consider practical skills to enable you to act as a mediator between others. Find out more
Emotional Intelligence to enable you to use your emotional intelligence to feel more positive and be more effective throughout your life. Find out more