The 4 Day Week on The Office: Re-Defined Documentary
Happy was recently featured in The Office: Re-Defined documentary, created by Inês Santos, Noopur Jambhekar and Anagha Raghunath.
In this short extract, The Office: Re-Defined explores the four-day working week. Inês interviewed Happy's founder and Chief Happiness Officer, Henry Stewart, about the four-day week and our experiences so far. In our 'new normal' following the pandemic, is this the future of the office?
Hi, we are Happy
We are leading a movement to create happy, empowered and productive workplaces.
How can we help you and your people to find joy in at least 80% of your work?
In June 2022, Happy joined the six-month trial of a four-day working week being organised in the UK by 4 Day Week Global. We are joining over 60 other organisations in this pilot.
Happy originally tried the four-day week a few years ago during August, and this was then extended to six weeks. During the pandemic, many of Happy's people were furloughed for one day per week (or more), so everyone had to find ways to improve productivity and focus on the most important tasks. This helped to pave the way for joining the four-day week trial — post-pandemic, Happy's founder and Chief Happiness Officer Henry Stewart felt this was the right time to propose it to the organisation.
Three months into the trial, and the pilot is going well:
- 100% of Happy's staff say they are working the 32-hour week, or just an hour or two more.
- 100% say they are getting as much done as before, when they worked 37.5 hours
- 100% say their overall wellbeing is better
The comments back this up: "I am loving having a day off to be outside and active, I am generally feeling much happier and in turn enjoying work so much more." Another adds: "It's very exciting to have a day off and be able to do whatever you want."
Is the four-day working week be the future of work in this new, post-pandemic world?
In this documentary produced by Inês Santos, Noopur Jambhekar and Anagha Raghunath, they explore this further. Thank you for letting us share your video!
- A Four-Day Week? Let's Start with a 4 Day August — Find out how Happy handled the initial 4 day week trial during August.
- Happy Starts 4 Day Week Trial — Happy's announcement joining the four-day week trial in June 2022.
- Happy’s 4 Day Week: How is Our Progress? (A 3 Month Update) — Find out more about the progress of the four-day week in this update from Happy and other organisations in the trial.
- Happy Recognised as One of the Top 15 Workplaces in Europe — Happy is very proud to have been rated in the top 15 of the Best Workplaces in Europe, in the Small Company category. Find out more about Happy's culture in this blog.
- Is it Time for a 4 Day Week? — Andrew Barnes is one of the leading promoters of the four-day week across the world. As Founder of Perpetual Guardian in New Zealand, he implemented a four-day week in 2018.
Keep informed about happy workplaces
Sign up to Henry's monthly Happy Manifesto newsletter, full of tips and inspiration to help you to create a happy, engaged workplace.
Learn the 10 core principles to create a happy and productive workplace in Henry Stewart's book, The Happy Manifesto.
Henry's Most Popular Blogs
- 8 Companies That Celebrate Mistakes
- 9 Benefits of Having Happy Employees
- 321Zero: How I Solved my Email Overload
- 16 Companies That Don't Have Managers
- 5 Big Companies Who Swear by Mindfulness
- 49 Steps to a Happy Workplace
- A Four Day Week? Let's Start With a Four Day August
- Google: Hire Great People and Give Them Lots of Autonomy
- Buurtzorg: No Managers, Just Great Care From a Nurse-Led Service
- 30 Steps to Joy at Work: Get More Done by Being Less Busy
Next Conference: 2024 Happy Workplaces Conference
Our Happy Workplaces Conference is our biggest event of the year, and we'd love for you to join us next year. Save the date for Wednesday 15th May 2024!
This will be a hybrid event — we will host up to 50 people in the venue at Happy's HQ in Aldgate, London, and up to 200 people online via Zoom. The speakers will be a mix of online and in person. However you choose to join us for 2024, there will be interaction, discussion, space for reflection and opportunities to network with others.
All tickets are currently half-price until January 2024.
Not what you need? Take a look at all of our Leadership and Management programmes.