Launch of The Happy Manifesto with Action for Happiness
Only 2% of people say they work just to pay the bills, for 90% being happy at work is important. Yet over half of Brits are unhappy at work.
Hi, we are Happy
We are leading a movement to create happy, empowered and productive workplaces.
How can we help you and your people to find joy in at least 80% of your work?
The evidence is clear: Happy workplaces are the most productive and successful.
Today sees a call for radical change in the way we treat people at work, as Henry Stewart, founder of Happy Ltd, and Action for Happiness launch a new Manifesto for happier workplaces. A happy, fulfilling work environment isn’t just great for staff, it also delivers huge benefits to business in terms of a more motivated workforce, improved productivity and ultimately better long-term financial performance.
“Imagine a workplace where you are energised and motivated by being in control of the work you do”, explains Henry. “Imagine you are trusted and given freedom, with support, to decide how to achieve results. Imagine you can get the life balance you want. Imagine you are valued according to the work you do, not how many hours you spend at the desk.
“Wouldn’t you want to work in such a place? Wouldn’t it also enable you to work at your best and be most productive?”
An increasing number of companies are finding that focus on creating a happy workplace is just about the most important thing management can do:
- A major restaurant chain found the most important factor in growth and profits was how happy staff are (and then changed manager’s bonuses to be based on this)
- Over 25 years, investing your pension in happy workplaces would get you £230,000, against £100,000 in standard stock market
- Latest opinion poll shows only 2% work simply to pay the bills. For 90% it is important to be happy at work.
- Yet over half of British employees say they are unhappy at work.
“A wonderful book – a gripping read and so interesting, as well as wise. It is truly inspiring.”
Professor Richard Layard
This campaign is part of a global movement for change. In the US Tony Hsieh (who sold his shoe retailer Zappos to Amazon for close to a billion dollars) has signed up thousands to his “Delivering Happiness” approach. In Denmark Chief Happiness Officer Alex Kjerulf has influenced many workplaces. In India 80,000 strong HCL shares the philosophy of “Employees first, customers second”.
Henry Stewart is founder and CEO of training company Happy Ltd. Happy have been rated the best company in the UK for customer service (by Management Today) and one of the best 20 workplaces in the UK for the last five years (Financial Times / Great Place to Work Institute). Henry himself is a popular business speaker and is listed in the guru radar.
Action for Happiness is a movement of people and organisations taking practical action to create a happier society for everyone. Founded by Lord Richard Layard, Anthony Seldon and Geoff Mulgan, it was launched in April 2011 and already has 18,000 members who are taking positive action in their homes, workplaces and communities.
Sources of Data
Keep informed about happy workplaces
Sign up to Henry's monthly Happy Manifesto newsletter, full of tips and inspiration to help you to create a happy, engaged workplace.
Learn the 10 core principles to create a happy and productive workplace in Henry Stewart's book, The Happy Manifesto.
Henry's Most Popular Blogs
- 8 Companies That Celebrate Mistakes
- 9 Benefits of Having Happy Employees
- 321Zero: How I Solved my Email Overload
- 16 Companies That Don't Have Managers
- 5 Big Companies Who Swear by Mindfulness
- 49 Steps to a Happy Workplace
- A Four Day Week? Let's Start With a Four Day August
- Google: Hire Great People and Give Them Lots of Autonomy
- Buurtzorg: No Managers, Just Great Care From a Nurse-Led Service
- 30 Steps to Joy at Work: Get More Done by Being Less Busy
Next Conference: 2024 Happy Workplaces Conference
Our Happy Workplaces Conference is our biggest event of the year, and we'd love for you to join us next year. Save the date for Wednesday 15th May 2024!
This will be a hybrid event — we will host up to 50 people in the venue at Happy's HQ in Aldgate, London, and up to 200 people online via Zoom. The speakers will be a mix of online and in person. However you choose to join us for 2024, there will be interaction, discussion, space for reflection and opportunities to network with others.
All tickets are currently half-price until January 2024.
Not what you need? Take a look at all of our Leadership and Management programmes.