Excel Hints & Tips - Slicers
We have many blogs about how great Pivot Tables are – and in this blog, Ian shows how you can customise these to make your reports even better.
Hi, we are Happy
We are leading a movement to create happy, empowered and productive workplaces.
How can we help you and your people to find joy in at least 80% of your work?
In his blog on Pivot Perfection, Darren showed us how to easily produce a series of Pivot Tables for each category we want to filter on. Slicers make it easy to have one Pivot Table that can switch between different categories.
Let’s start with the same data that Darren used:
The next step is to add a Slicer:
1. Go to the Options tab of the Pivot Table Tools on the ribbon
2. Click on Insert Slicer
3.Choose the field you want to filter on, in this case Department
4. Click OK
5. A Slicer box will appear on your worksheet:
6. Click on the category you are interested in, for example, the Design department
7. The Pivot Table will update to show the values for that category:
8. To change to a different category, just click on the appropriate value in the slicer box
9. To select multiple values, do a normal click on the first value, then control-click on the other values:
10. To clear the filter, click on the icon in the top-right corner of the Slicer box
11. You can move and re-size the Slicer box by clicking and dragging on the border of the box
Why not sign up to our newsletter?
Sign up to our monthly newsletter, full of tips, tricks and news to help you to be happier and more productive at work.
Want to learn more?
Check out our one-day intensive Excel course to learn more about Pivot Tables and how they can save you time at work – Excel Pivot Tables: From Data to Dashboard. It is next running at Happy's HQ in Central London on 5th July 2019.
Or click through to our IT courses and training page to view all of our Excel courses. Alternatively, if you have three or more learners or if you would like to discuss our customised course options, contact our friendly team for our upcoming availability or call 020 7375 7300.