Dom Monkhouse, iomart – Lessons from the Private Sector
Dom Monkhouse is CEO of iomart, and talked about several books that he had learnt from and how he’d used their ideas.
His recommended reading included ‘Work Rules’ by Laszlo Bock, which stresses the importance of recruitment. He also discussed the way he recruits – rather than focusing on qualifications and experience, his common interview technique is to ask candidates to draw a picture of what motivates them, as it gives an interesting insight into who they are! He recruits for attitude, as you can train for skill – which is also one of the 10 core principles of Henry Stewart’s in the Happy Manifesto.
Hi, we are Happy
We are leading a movement to create happy, empowered and productive workplaces.
How can we help you and your people to find joy in at least 80% of your work?
The ideas from 'Work Rules' by Laszlo Bock
What is triangulation and how does it damage your workplace?
He also explained that he has now stopped triangulation in his office – if a member of staff has a complaint about another staff member, he tells them to discuss it with the person in question or they will speak to them on their behalf has been incredibly effective in getting rid of this behaviour and has improved the atmosphere in the office.
The other books on his reading list were:
- Nudge, by Thaler and Sunstein
- Team of Teams: New rules of engagement for a complex world, by General Stanley McChrystal
- Good to Great, by Jim Collins
- Hiring for Attitude: A revolutionary approach to recruiting star performers with both tremendous skills and superb attitude, by Mark Murphy
- Mistakes Were Made (But not by me): Why we justify foolish beliefs, bad decisions and hurtful acts, by Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson
- Happy Hour is 9 to 5: How to love your job, love your life, and kick butt at work, by Alexander Kjerulf
- Multipliers: How the best leaders make everyone smarter, by Liz Wiseman
Why not sign up to our newsletter?
Sign up to our monthly newsletter, full of tips, tricks and news to help you to be happier and more productive at work.
Next Conference: 2021 Happy Workplaces Conference
The Happy Workplaces Conference is our biggest event of the year! This year's event is taking place on 22nd July via Zoom.
You will hear from leadership gurus Tom Peters, David Marquet and Bruce Daisley. Other speakers include Nand Kishore Chaudhary of Jaipur Rugs, Helen Sanderson MBE of Wellbeing Teams and Sarah Pugh, CEO of Whizz-Kidz.
Be prepared for an interactive and fun day, bursting with new ideas, discussion and laughter!
Not what you need? Take a look at all of our Leadership and Management programmes.