Well-Being Check-Ins: How To Prevent Staff Burnout
Burnout is a real issue in the creative media industry. To help prevent this, Nikki Gatenby introduced well-being check-ins. Nikki is the co-owner and managing director of Propellernet, a digital marketing agency that's been named as one of the top 10 Best Places to Work in the UK for six years running.
In this two-minute video from the 2018 Happy Workplaces Conference, Nikki shares the four questions used to prevent burnout – are you taking your holiday? Are you taking your Propel days (their day a month to innovate)? Are you working with our resident coach? And do you know about our health plan?
Hi, we are Happy
We are leading a movement to create happy, empowered and productive workplaces.
How can we help you and your people to find joy in at least 80% of your work?
The thing about burnout is that it not only jams productivity, but also tarnishes overall health. This puts it squarely at odds with Propellernet’s company values, which are innovation, creativity, adventure, fun, and wellbeing.
To safeguard these values (and the final one in particular), Nikki started doing regular well-being check-ins, centred around four key questions:
- Are you taking your holiday? “We all need time out. If we don’t take time out we’re going to hit burnout, so at quarterly points throughout the year we make sure people are taking their holiday,” says Nikki.
- Are you taking your Propel days? “We give people a day a month to go and propel themselves forward. So that’s 12 days a year.”
- Are you working with our resident coach? “I believe that everyone has the ability to get better, so we’ve got our resident coach in the business. Engagement isn’t all about being nice to people; engagement’s about challenge as well and making people see that they can be the best version of themselves.”
- Are you taking advantage of the health cash plan? “I don’t want to know what people are using it for, but I want to know they know how to use it and they can keep themselves as well as possible.”
- 11 takeaways from the 2018 Happy Workplaces conference: read Henry’s blog about all the big ideas discussed at the 2018 Happy Workplaces conference
- Take The Happy Challenge – Henry’s challenges managers to make no decisions for three months
- 8 Principles From Some of the Best Workplaces on the Planet – Pim de Morree looks at eight trends from some of the world’s most engaged workplaces
Keep informed about happy workplaces
Sign up to Henry's monthly Happy Manifesto newsletter, full of tips and inspiration to help you to create a happy, engaged workplace.
Learn the 10 core principles to create a happy and engaged workplace in Henry Stewart's book, the Happy Manifesto.
Next Conference: 2022 Happy Workplaces Conference
The Happy Workplaces Conference is our biggest event of the year, and we are very excited to announce that our 2022 event will be on 12th May! Once again we will be using Zoom to host the event, as it has been such a huge success online.
As always, HW22 will be hugely interactive with lots of discussion, laughter and opportunities to meet other people who are committed towards creating happy workplaces.
Save the date for 2022 and save 50% with our Early Bird discount!
Not what you need? Take a look at all of our Leadership and Management programmes.