Happy Workplace Leadership Programme
Would you like to be the type of manager that people want to work for, who enables a highly productive team in a positive and supportive work environment?
In this four-day programme over four months, you will gain personal insight and develop practical leadership and management skills to create a high performing team. You will develop your coaching skills and how to put your people at the heart of what you do.
This course is now being delivered remotely via Zoom. Visit the Happy Workplace Online Leadership Programme page for full details of our live online learning equivalent.
What you will learn
A happy workplace leads to greater productivity and tangible business results. This programme is about placing people at the heart of what you do.
Based upon our own practical experience at Happy and learning from some of the world’s great workplaces (like Google and WL Gore), it will enable you to become a leader that people would choose to be led by. It will give you the personal insight and practical leadership skills to create a high performing team.
This programme is for anyone with line management and leadership responsibility. It is a unique opportunity to self-reflect, change behaviour and adopt new ways of working. We also have a programme tailored to more senior levels: The Happy Workplace CEO and Senior Leadership Programme.
- Become a credible leader that inspires trust
- Understand what enables people to work at their best
- High performing teams working to their strengths and to a common goal
- An agile and responsive team working within clear values and principles
- Greater trust and autonomy for your people
- High levels of accountability within the team, enabling them to deliver high quality on time
- A more engaged and motivated team
- Greater innovation and greater productivity
- Practical skills that you will be able to transfer to your workplace
- Raise the level of happiness in your team
- Complete an online questionnaire to identify your communication style
- Complete an online self-reflection questionnaire around your confidence to lead, and your leadership style
Day One: All about You as a Leader
Day one is all about you and your leadership style. It is about how to bring out the best in you and others, whilst being authentic. You will be excited about your role as a leader, have the space and opportunity to self-reflect in order to work successfully with your team.
- The core of an effective culture, why put people at the heart of what you do?
- Identify who you are as a leader and your leadership attitudes and skills
- Find a buddy to work with, to support, and to hold to account for actions through the programme
- Build trust and credibility within your team and your organisation through a 'to be' list
- Using your pre-programme preparation, understand your communication style, how to adapt it to work successfully with others
- Learn the skills to become a multiplier of your people's talents
- Introduce the Happy Workplace planner and online portal to help you build positive habits
eLearning Between Days One and Two
Discover how to be more productive and less 'busy' by identifying and changing your reflection, prioritising, email and meeting habits.
Day Two: Valuing Yourself and Others
Day two of the programme is all about learning and applying the tools you need to help your team feel resilient, empowered and valued. You will achieve this by focusing on understanding and nurturing resilience for yourself and others, understanding the benefits of successful 1 to 1's, practical exercises based around active listening, and coaching your people to success.
- The three resilience energies — physical, mental and emotional and how we can harness these to support our wellbeing and the wellbeing of others
- Develop your own resilience and that of your team
- Listening to understand rather than be understood — how to do this mindfully with the aim of valuing the other person
- The core of great leadership — coaching your team to success by empowering them to discover their own solutions
- Your role as coach and understanding what works and what doesn't
- Why, and how, to use TED invitations to develop your coaching skills
- Practice coaching and being coached
- Effective 1 to 1's – what are they, why do them, who sets the agenda, what should you discuss
Online Questionnaire Between Days Two and Three
Discover your top five strengths through a robust on-line questionnaire developed by Gallup, the StrengthsFinder 2.0.
Day Three: Freedom Within Guidelines
Day three of the programme is all about understanding and applying a culture of autonomy and job ownership enabling and empowering your team to be the best they can be. A key part of this is learning about your strengths and how they enable you as a leader, as well as giving you a tool to discover the strengths of your people.
- Discover the three key elements that research shows are the real motivators for high performance
- Learn the power of purpose and the potential for positive change when this is paired with people setting their own targets.
- Discover the four domains of leadership strength
- Review how well you know your team’s strengths and how much they are using them in their roles
- Re-imagine you team’s potential when you are all working to their strengths
- Enable trust and autonomy, within clear guidelines to create true job ownership
- Be open and transparent in the information you share – what is off limits to staff?
- Discover the difference between accountability and responsibility
- Review your delegation habits and understand the key steps to delegating successfully
- Identify what stops you delegating and challenge these behaviours
- Pre-approval – what is it, what are the benefits of it and how to implement it?
- Who makes the decisions currently and what might you change about this?
- The benefits and steps to providing positive feedback
- How to prepare, behave and present yourself assertively when giving feedback
- Understand the feedback triangle and how to have courageous conversations
Online Questionnaires Between Days Three and Four
- Prepare a 2-minute presentation on your Leadership purpose and who you are now as a leader based on what you have learnt
- Complete a second online self-reflection questionnaire around your confidence to lead, and your leadership style now
Day Four: Setting You and Your Team up to Succeed
The last day of the programme is all about preparing for the future. You will review the progress you have already made and create a vision for where you want your team to be in the future. It will enable you to recruit the right people for the culture you want and ensure that you build constructive working relationship with them. You will present back your leadership purpose and learning journey to the group and make plans for how you will bring your vision to life.
- A reflective journey — recap and summary of what has been covered, what you have applied and transformed, and what your challenges are
- Discover the key to recruiting the right team members and ensuring their induction is a motivating experience
- Working adult to adult - understanding transactional analysis, the effect it has on your relationships and within the workplace
- How to create a working environment that gets the best out of introverts and extroverts
- The cycle of conflict — understanding how to break this
- Identify what you might adapt so it works for you, your team and your organisation
- Understand and learn the process of building sustainable habits and changing behaviours long term, to embed the learning and create real action
- Present back your leadership purpose and vision for yourself and your team
- Draw up a personal, practical action plan beyond the programme
Our Approach to Programme Delivery
Every programme is designed to ensure complete individual involvement and participation, it will stimulate your thinking and challenge you. The key focus is on practical skills and real outcomes throughout. The content will involve an innovative and engaging blend of activities so that you can directly apply it to your current performance and your future success.
The four days are spread over four months to ensure it has a real impact and you get the chance to embed what you learn. It will include pre-course work, and action in-between the days.
Happy Workplace Programme Testimonials
Why choose the Happy Workplace Leadership Programme?
- Discover and fulfil your potential
- Enable work cultures based on trust and freedom
- Learn best practice from the truly great workplaces
- Be involved, engaged and challenged
- Learn practical skills to apply straight away
Group Learning Events
If you have five or more learners, a private group event could be cheaper.
We can tailor the content to your team, and host the workshop online, inhouse at your workplace or here at Happy's HQ in Aldgate, Central London.
Trusted Customer102 days ago
Need help? Call us on020 7375 7300
What's it like to learn with Happy?
Be involved, engaged and challenged in our leadership programmes. In this video, Happy's Managing Director, Cathy Busani, delivers a session on Google’s Project Oxygen and the qualities of a great manager.
The Small Print
For Face-to-Face Live Online Learning
All learners will need to install Zoom on their machines. Full technical requirements are on the Zoom website. Your link will be included in your joining instructions once you have booked your place — if you haven't received this email then please contact our team.
Each of the Zoom sessions will be roughly 2 hours long and include a short break. You should reserve out 10am to 4.30pm in your diary for the learning. This will allow you to join the interactive workshops and have time to reflect and do the assignments in between. We believe immersing yourself in the content for a whole day will create deep learning and lasting impact.
Learners should log into the training session 10 minutes before the start time to ensure that they have downloaded and set up Zoom correctly. The course will start precisely on time and it may not be possible to go back over material missed by late arrivals.
Your active participation is expected: everyone will be heard and seen throughout, just as they would be if we were in a room together. To be heard, hear and seen you will need a microphone, speakers and camera — if you have a modern laptop that’s all you will need. Remember, you’ll need a quiet place to call from and a decent internet connection is a must.
Please ensure you read our Terms and Conditions before booking for our payment terms and cancellation policy.
For classroom sessions
The course will run from 10am to 4:30pm (lunch is served 1pm to 1:45pm — we offer a choice of 3 cold bowl dishes). Please be careful to arrive by 9.45am for registration and refreshments. The course will start precisely on time and it may not be possible to go back over material missed by late arrivals. If you arrive over 30 minutes late you may be asked to leave and attend another day.
Please ensure you read our Terms and Conditions before booking for our payment terms and cancellation policy.
The happy Guarantee
We want everyone to go away from our courses feeling as though they have learnt useful, practical skills that they can use straight away when they go back to work.
If you don’t feel that your training has been useful or if you are unhappy in any way, please get in touch with our Customer Services team within 30 days of the course. We will be happy to offer you additional support and training free of charge to help you to gain the skills you need, or if you’d prefer, a full refund.
Due to current government guidelines we have temporarily closed our training centre in London. All of our staff are now working remotely, and all classroom training has been postponed until further notice.
We have developed a fantastic range of interactive webinars delivered by our experienced facilitators, Live Online Learning. You can see details of our IT Skills live online learning sessions here and our Personal Development sessions here – or we can adapt any of our classroom training into webinar format for you.
For the latest government guidance, please visit the gov.uk website.
We will continue to monitor the situation and will advise all clients if the situation changes.
If you have any questions or concerns, or would like to arrange some online training, our friendly team are available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. You can leave a message on 020 7375 7300 or email us at email@example.com.
Did you know...
...a simple challenge to normal practice is to spend one meeting only asking questions?
The ability to ask good questions is a central tenet of strong leadership. Putting away your usual directives and reaching out to staff is a great way to summon useful feedback and foster workplace unity.
Happy offers a number of other leadership and management programmes including:
Managing Change Positively to enable you to support your team through change and provide a clear understanding of how to involve people. Find out more
How to Have Conversations that Matter for Leaders & Managers to enable you to have successful conversations with team members and colleagues. Find out more