Using Visual Basic (VBA) in Excel
By the end of this expert level three-day course, you will be confident in using the essential features of Excel Visual Basic to create simple spreadsheet solutions.
This course is for anyone who has never used Excel VBA (or any other Visual Basic package). This course is especially useful if you need to build spreadsheets that go beyond what Excel alone is capable of.
What you will learn
By the end of this expert level Excel course, you will be able to:
- Understand what Visual Basic is
- Create macros to automate tasks, as well as understand their limits
- Manipulate the values in your spreadsheet
- Declare variables, and manipulate them
- Write code which looks at a condition and carries out different actions accordingly
- Write functions, frequently used pieces of code
- Understand the Excel object model, and make use of its properties, methods and events
- Trap errors, to avoid users seeing problems and find problems in your code
- Write code which repeats an action a specified number of times
Session 1 — Macros
- Creating macros
- Limits of macros
Session 2 — Editing Macros
- Editing Macros in the Visual Basic Editor
- Understand the Personal Workbook
- Find and Replace
- Deleting Macros
Session 3 — Introducing VBA
- What is VBA?
- Modules and procedures
Session 1 — Collections
- How to refer to objects in a collection
- Using the Immediate Window to explore collections
- Making code more succinct.
Session 2 — Variables
- Defining and referring to variables
Session 3 — Error trapping and debugging
- Types of Error
- The Debug Toolbar
- Breakpoints and Break Mode
Session 1 — Built-in functions
- MsgBox and InputBox Functions Revisited
- String Manipulation Functions
- Nesting Functions
- Date Functions
- Type Checking Functions
Session 2 — Control structures and Branching
- If Statements
- Data Validation
- Select Case
Session 3 — Control structures and Looping
- For… Next
- For Each…
- Do… loops.
Which Excel course is right for you?
Making sure you’ve booked the right course isn’t always easy.
Luckily we have a handy survey to help you decide.
And if you’re still unsure, call our friendly team on 020 7375 7300 and we’ll help you work out what you need.
Trusted Customer27 days ago
Frist and foremost, the teacher was excellent. Furthermore, I found the entire day to be extremely well thought out and carefully constructed. It turned out to be much better than I was expecting. After all - it was a course on Excel training, yet I wasn't bored at all.
What is it like to learn with Happy?
Our facilitators make learning interactive and fun. In this video, Maureen delivers a session on Formulas and Functions in Excel at Happy's HQ in London.
The Small Print
This course will run from 10am to 4:45pm (hot buffet lunch 1pm to 1:45pm) on all three days. Please be careful to arrive by 9:45am for registration and refreshments. The course will start precisely on time and it may not be possible to go back over material missed by late arrivals. If you arrive over 30 minutes late you may be asked to leave and attend another day.
Please ensure you read our Terms and Conditions before booking for our payment terms and cancellation policy.
The happy Guarantee
We want everyone to go away from our courses feeling as though they have learnt useful, practical skills that they can use straight away when they go back to work.
If you don’t feel that your training has been useful or if you are unhappy in any way, please get in touch with our Customer Services team within 30 days of the course. We will be happy to offer you additional support and training free of charge to help you to gain the skills you need, or if you’d prefer, a full refund.
Your post-course support package
- 2 years of free access to our IT Helpline
- Unlimited access - call or email our team as often as you need
- Ask about any content covered on your course
- Included in the price of our training sessions