IT Essentials: Using Windows 10 and Outlook
From keeping in touch with friends and family to looking up important pieces of information, to ordering groceries and paying your bills, using a computer has become essential to everyday life. In this one-day course at Happy, you will learn the essentials of computers, including navigating Windows, sending and receiving emails, and even how to ‘Google it’!
What you will learn
By the end of the day you will have gained confidence in navigating around both your computer and its windows and menus. You will be able to send and receive emails, deal with attachments and use the Internet to find the information and services you need.
Session One — Introduction to the Computer and Windows
- Understand some of the jargon used around computers
- Starting and shutting down safely
- Using the mouse
- Opening and closing programs
- Jargon busting! The Windows 10 screen
- Minimise, Maximise and Restore windows
Session Two: Working with Windows
- Use more than one program at a time and switch between them
- Opening and viewing files
- Creating folders
- Organise files: moving and renaming
- Creating a file, saving it and retrieving it
- If there’s time: Create and open zipped files, deleting files, the Recycle Bin
Session Three: The Internet
- Understand essential web jargon
- Navigate around a website and note common features
- Visit currently popular sites
- Use Google to find information by specific keywords
- If there’s time: Create favourites to easily access previously accessed sites
Session Four: Using Outlook for email
- Send and receive e-mails
- Send and receive e-mails with attachments
- Save attachments elsewhere
- Understand how to use email well
- Create a calendar appointment
- If there’s time: Create a meeting and invite people to it, set up an automatic signature, set up an Out of Office automatic message
Group Learning Events
If you have three or more learners, a private group course could be cheaper.
We can tailor the content to your team, and host the training at your workplace or here at Happy's HQ in Aldgate, Central London.
What is it like to learn with Happy?
Our facilitators make learning interactive and fun. In this video, Maureen delivers a session on Formulas and Functions in Excel at Happy's HQ in London.
Sajid Ali5 days ago
The Small Print
The course will run from 10am to 4:45pm (lunch is served 1pm to 1:45pm — we offer a choice of 3 cold bowl dishes). Please be careful to arrive by 9:45am for registration and refreshments. The course will start precisely on time and it may not be possible to go back over material missed by late arrivals. If you arrive over 30 minutes late you may be asked to leave and attend another day.
Please ensure you read our Terms and Conditions before booking for our payment terms and cancellation policy.
The happy Guarantee
We want everyone to go away from our courses feeling as though they have learnt useful, practical skills that they can use straight away when they go back to work.
If you don’t feel that your training has been useful or if you are unhappy in any way, please get in touch with our Customer Services team within 30 days of the course. We will be happy to offer you additional support and training free of charge to help you to gain the skills you need, or if you’d prefer, a full refund.
Your post-course support package
- 2 years of free access to our IT Helpline
- Unlimited access - call or email our team as often as you need
- Ask about any content covered on your course
- Included in the price of our training sessions
Did you know...
...Happy runs a couple of other essential IT skills courses?
This includes the Windows 10 Essentials course, which gives you confidence in navigating your computer or device and creating, saving and finding documents. It also equips you with the necessary information to operate Microsoft’s newest browser, Microsoft Edge.
Windows 10 Essentials to enable you to develop your basic IT skills and gain confidence when using computers. Find out more
Learn to Touch Type in a Day so that you can recall all the keys of a keyboard from memory and be well on your way to becoming a keyboard whizz. Find out more