5 questions with Damien O’Neill of Advanced Technology Services UK Ltd
Damien O’Neill is Site Manager at Advanced Technology Services UK Ltd (ATS).
ATS employs more than 3,000 people across the US, Mexico and the UK, and specialises in factory maintenance and IT services. Their company culture is centered around safety and continuous improvement, with their products winning multiple awards for innovation.
We spoke to Damien to find out more about ATS and their culture, ahead of the 2017 Happy Workplaces Conference next month.
Hi, we are Happy
We are leading a movement to create happy, empowered and productive workplaces.
How can we help you and your people to find joy in at least 80% of your work?
1. Tell me a bit about yourself.
Outside of work, my passion is long distance cycling. In July I am cycling from London to Edinburgh and back – non-stop in under 116 hours!
2. What’s your top tip for creating a happy and engaged workplace?
Be open and honest with your team, good stuff and bad stuff.
3. Could you give me one example of how people responded to greater trust?
I will be talking about this at the conference – the outcome has been improved work/life balance, increased autonomy, less work for me and a significant reduction of cost to our customer.
4. What have you done to create a culture of trust at your organisation?
Constantly reassure the team that you trust them and give them space and support to make mistakes.
5. Could you give me an example of what you’ve done to give staff greater freedom and autonomy?
Again I will be talking about this at the conference – we have overcome some significant cultural issues in our industry to allow the team to have a much greater level of freedom in their working hours. This was achieved by telling them the issues, giving them the guidance and then getting out of the way!
Keep informed about happy workplaces
Sign up to Henry's monthly Happy Manifesto newsletter, full of tips and inspiration to help you to create a happy, engaged workplace.
Learn the 10 core principles to create a happy and engaged workplace in Henry Stewart's book, the Happy Manifesto.
Learn the 10 core principles to create a happy and engaged workplace
Happy's vision is outlined by Henry Stewart in his book, the Happy Manifesto. It outlines our 10 principles to create a happy, empowered workplace.
- Five questions with Gemma Beadle, HR Manager – UK at Advanced Technology Services UK Ltd
- Five questions with Nita Clarke OBE, Director of the Involvement and PArticipation Association
- Five questions with Peter Cheese, CEO of CIPD
- Five questions with Simon Grosse, CEO of Foundation SP
- Five questions with Sarah Metcalfe, Head of Customer Service at Sureflap Ltd