Power BI Desktop Next Steps
This one-day workshop builds on the knowledge learned on the Power BI Desktop Fundamentals course with more focus on DAX calculations, in particular Time Intelligence.
Please make sure you are comfortable with the topics covered on the Fundamentals course before attending this follow up day.
What you will learn
By the end of this workshop you will have recapped and continued your learning of Power BI and be able to:
- Create a data model by importing data from various sources
- Use the query editor to clean and transform data
- Insert calculated columns using “M” functions
- Understand and manage data relationships
- Create and edit hierarchies
- Create an interactive report with charts, maps, tables and slicers
- Create and edit Measures (DAX aggregate functions)
- Publish your Power BI report
- Preview of the example dashboard report we will create during the training
Session 2: Further Cleaning and Transforming data using Power Query Editor
- Example transformation queries:
- Unpivoting columns: flatten a “cross tab” table
- Transforming dates using locale
- Grouping data
- Importing data from a folder in one go
- Importing all worksheets in a workbook in one go
- If then else formulas
Session 3: Modelling your data in Power BI
- Enter data v. connecting to data sources v. Direct Query
- The importance of a Date Table
- Categorising data (for use with mapping)
- Recap on relationships
Session 4: Focus on DAX Formulas
- Time Intelligence (MTD, QTD, YTD, SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR, DATESADD)
- Understanding CALCULATE and the ﬁlter context
- SELECTEDVALUE and CONCATENTEX
- Using DAX aggregate functions in visualizations and custom report titles
- Using a DAX measure to create a KPI
Session 5: Creating and publishing your report
Exercise to create and publish an interactive drill through report with chart and map visualisations including:
- A refresher of the different filter options available and controlling how the filter pane displays when published
- Conditional formatting charts
- Customised tooltips
- Analytics including trend lines on line charts
- Adding hidden pages to your report and using bookmark buttons to view them
- Importing custom visuals from the market place
- Considerations when publishing including Row Level Security
Sajid Ali9 days ago
Group Learning Events
If you have three or more learners, a private group course could be cheaper.
We can tailor the content to your team, and host the training at your workplace or here at Happy's HQ in Aldgate, Central London.
What is it like to learn with Happy?
Our facilitators make learning interactive and fun. In this video, Maureen delivers a session on Formulas and Functions in Excel at Happy's HQ in London.
The Small Print
The course will run from 10am to 4:45pm (lunch is served 1pm to 1:45pm — we offer a choice of 3 cold bowl dishes). Please be careful to arrive by 9:45am for registration and refreshments. The course will start precisely on time and it may not be possible to go back over material missed by late arrivals. If you arrive over 30 minutes late you may be asked to leave and attend another day.
Please ensure you read our Terms and Conditions before booking for our payment terms and cancellation policy.
The happy Guarantee
We want everyone to go away from our courses feeling as though they have learnt useful, practical skills that they can use straight away when they go back to work.
If you don’t feel that your training has been useful or if you are unhappy in any way, please get in touch with our Customer Services team within 30 days of the course. We will be happy to offer you additional support and training free of charge to help you to gain the skills you need, or if you’d prefer, a full refund.
Your post-course support package
- 2 years of free access to our IT Helpline
- Unlimited access - call or email our team as often as you need
- Ask about any content covered on your course
- Included in the price of our training sessions
Did you know...
...Power BI breaks the mould of traditional BI development and makes the analytics process easier and more flexible?
Power BI saves a lot of time and labour and makes sharing super simple. Power BI has its own desktop app, but is also built into Excel. Take a look at Happy's other training courses in Power BI and data analysis.
Power BI Desktop Fundamentals to enable you to create a data model, use the query editor, understand and manage data relationships and more. Find out more
Introduction to Power Query to enable you to import, tidy up and transform data, and output a workable, clean data set for analysis. Find out more
Introduction to Power Pivot to enable you to analyse, visualise and report on large amounts of data. Find out more. Find out more