Work Smarter with Google Groups Using Our Guide
Google Groups makes it easy for groups of people to keep in touch with friends, connect with people who have similar interests, and organise projects and presentations such as project teams, departments, or teamwork to communicate and collaborate easily.
Here’s a look at some attention-grabbing features to have shown up in recent months.
Hi, we are Happy
We are leading a movement to create happy, empowered and productive workplaces.
How can we help you and your people to find joy in at least 80% of your work?
You can send an email to everyone in a group with one address, invite a group to an event, or share documents with a group. You can also create an online forum to discuss a popular event or answer questions about a topic.
With Google Groups, you can:
- Find and join a group
- Post topics and responses
- Create a group
- Collaborate with your team
- Manage groups
Share content quickly and easily with multiple people using Google Groups
You can share your G Suite content with multiple people at once using Google Groups such as:
- Files stored in Google Drive
If you add someone to your group, that person automatically gains access to content you previously shared with that group.
If you remove someone from a group, that person no longer has access to any content you shared with the group.
What is the advantage of having Google Groups?
- You can use a single team email address instead of having multiple individual email addresses.
- You can share resources from Google Docs, Calendar, Site and Files stored in Google Drive to your Google Group.
- You can update your status to the Google Group
- You can change the permissions for everyone at once, instead of changing individually.
- If one of the individuals leaves your Google Group, you just remove them from the group so that they can’t gain access to content you previously shared with the group. There is no need to search for it.
Here’s how to create a Google Group:
- In Groups, click CREATE GROUPand enter your group name and the group’s email address, and group description (Optional).
- If you are creating a group within your organisation, your group’s address will end with com, e.g. happy.co.uk
Note: To find or create web forums within your organisation that are not public, go to Groups and click My Groups > Switch organisation view to yourdomain.com before continuing the following tasks.
- If you’re creating a public group, your group’s address will end with com.
- At the top of the page, click CREATE
- Add people to your new group.
- Select content that you want to share, such as calendars, sites, docs, and files stored in Drive.
- Find the sharing feature for your content:
- Calendar: Under My Calendars, go to your calendar and click More options > Settings. Go toAccess permissions and choose your sharing options. If you want to send a shareable link to your calendar, at the bottom, click Get shareable link > Copy Link. If you want to share your calendar with a specific person, go to Share with specific people and click Add people.
- Classic Calendar: In the sidebar, next to the calendar you want to share, click the Down arrow > Share this Calendar.
- Sites: Click Add people.
- Classic Sites: Click Settings >Sharing and Permissions.
- Docs, Sheets, and Slides: ClickShare in the upper corner.
- Forms: Click More> Add collaborators.
- Drive: Click Share.
6. Enter your Groups address (such as firstname.lastname@example.org) where prompted and confirm your sharing permissions.
Do you use Google Groups? How have they helped you to work more effectively?
Why not sign up to our newsletter?
Sign up to our monthly newsletter, full of tips, tricks and news to help you to be happier and more productive at work.
Ed is a Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) and has worked at Happy for over 12 years. Although he trains the full suite of MS Office and non-Office packages at all levels, his favourite package is Excel. A previous winner of the prestigious Learning and Performance Institute's 'Learning Professional of the Year' award, as well as other training accolades, he is also the IT Helpline Manager.
Testimonials from happy Customers
Trey Leonard1 day ago
Solid training. very helpful
Andy Evans3 days ago
The course was really useful â€“ thank you :)
Reeta Dass4 days ago
I enjoyed the course it was fun and interactive.
Roger Dawson4 days ago
very clear, excellent use of Zoom, enabling and empowering by making the management stuff uncomplicated and doable
Trusted Customer4 days ago
Good, good pace, good interaction,
Sally Giles11 days ago
The course was tailored to suit everyone's learning needs which was very good. The trainer delivered the course in a very interactive way which suits how I like to learn.
Sally Giles11 days ago
The trainer was excellent and knew just how to pace the course to suit everyone's learning capabilities.
Sallie Gregson11 days ago
Robert Bennett15 days ago
The course was well presented and great introduction to the capabilities of Power BI.
AM15 days ago
Happy Learning were very accommodating to consider our prior commitments and made adjustments around it to fit in with our needs. The tutor Ebiji at Excel Level 4 course ...
Kate McAleer23 days ago
Smooth experience and good quality training
Tsvetalina Petrova24 days ago
I like the way that the raining was done. Even though it was online there was a lot of interaction from the participants not only the tutor.