Intermediate Power BI Desktop Level 2
This one-day workshop is a follow on to the Core Level 1 training course and delegates will find it beneficial to attend both days. This intermediate-level workshop builds on the knowledge learned on the introductory day with more focus on DAX calculations as well as discussing the options available for publishing the report.
What you will learn
By the end of this workshop you will be able to:
- Create a data model by importing data from various sources
- Use the query editor to clean and transform data
- Insert calculated columns using “M” functions
- Understand and manage data relationships
- Create and edit hierarchies
- Create an interactive report with charts, maps, tables and slicers
- Create and edit Measures (DAX aggregate functions)
- Publish your Power BI report
- Understand your data by viewing analysis and quick insights
Session One: Brief Recap
- Recap exercise to create simple interactive dashboard report with chart and map visualisations, including a refresher of the different filter options available (Page Filters and Slicers)
- Preview of the example dashboard report we will create during the training
Session Two: Clean and Transform Data Using Power Query Editor
- Understanding Append, Merge and Reference queries
- Example transform queries:
- Unpivoting columns: flatten a ‘cross-tab’ table
- Transforming dates
- Grouping data
- Importing data from a folder in one go
- Importing all worksheets in a workbook in one go
- If then else formulas
Session Three: Modelling Your Data in Power BI
- Entering data vs connecting to data sources
- The importance of a Date table
- Categorising data
- Using Sort by Column
- Recap on relationships
- Creating calculated columns in the model vs Power Query
Session Four: Visualizations
- Custom visuals including Gauges
- Conditional formatting
- Adding pages to your report
- Trend lines
Session Five: Introduction to DAX Formulas
- Understanding Implicit and Explicit Measures
- Organising your measures into one ‘folder’
- Creating some useful DAX functions:
- Using DAX aggregate functions in visualisations and custom report titles
- Using a DAX measure to create a KPI
- Using a Dax measure to create a custom report title
Session Six: Sharing Your Report
- Save as PDF
- Publish to Power BI Service
- Viewing your published report via an internet browser
Trusted Customer202 days ago
What is it like to learn with Happy?
In this short video, Nicky explains what you will learn while on this course.
The Small Print
The course will run from 10am to 4:45pm (lunch is served 1pm to 1:45pm — we offer a choice of 3 cold bowl dishes). Please be careful to arrive by 9:45am for registration and refreshments. The course will start precisely on time and it may not be possible to go back over material missed by late arrivals. If you arrive over 30 minutes late you may be asked to leave and attend another day.
Please ensure you read our Terms and Conditions before booking for our payment terms and cancellation policy.
The happy Guarantee
We want everyone to go away from our courses feeling as though they have learnt useful, practical skills that they can use straight away when they go back to work.
If you don’t feel that your training has been useful or if you are unhappy in any way, please get in touch with our Customer Services team within 30 days of the course. We will be happy to offer you additional support and training free of charge to help you to gain the skills you need, or if you’d prefer, a full refund.