Advanced Excel: Analysing Excel Data for Better Business Decisions
This Excel course is for learners that need to use Excel to quickly and effectively analyse data. The techniques range from those for speedy analysis to setting up complex automated dashboards.
This is an intensive advanced course for users who are ready to learn at a fast pace.
Public Sector Price£290*
- *Excluding VAT
Class size8 approx.
You should be confident with creating basic formulas from scratch, including using absolute cell references to fix a reference to a single piece of data. You should also be able to create a basic chart. If you can’t do these things yet see our Excel Level 1 and Level 2 courses first. This course will only suit those learners who learn at a fast pace, more reflective learners may be better served by our standard courses.
What you will learn
By the end of this intensive, fast-paced course, you will be able to:
- Set out your data, and create charts, to provide the clearest possible picture of the meaning of the information
- Use conditional formatting to highlight and quickly identify the variety in results, the top 10, the top 10% and so on
- Use conditional formatting for traffic light colour coding – creating RAG highlighting (Red Amber Green)
- Quickly identify the key trends in the data using Pivot Tables
- Use filters, group selection and value field settings in Pivot Tables to quickly produce detailed analysis
- Use Slicers to filter the results of many Pivot Tables
- Example: Set up quarterly analysis of thousands of records in under a minute
- Solve the most common issues with importing data from large databases or other sources
- Automate the spread-sheet so updates only require a cut-and-paste
- Create interactive dashboards to display key information
- Use drop-down menus to enable others to extract information
- Add validation and criteria analysis
- Use data analysis functions to extract summary information
Before attending this course, you must be confident creating basic formulas from scratch, including using Absolute Cell References to fix a reference to a single piece of data. You should also be able to create a basic chart.
We recommend that you take our Excel Core Level 2 course first to ensure you have the skills required for this course, though this is not a requirement.
Session 1 — Data Presentation
- Principles for clear display of data
- Effective use of charts
Session 2 — Dealing with Imported Data
- Where does your data come from?
- Importing data
- Formatting Issues
- Text Functions to tidy your data
- VLOOKUP, IF
- If there's time: Index & Match
Session 3 — Extracting Meaning
- Using functions to summarise data
- Data Analysis Functions
- Conditional Formatting to highlight trends
Session 4 — Extracting Meaning with Pivot Tables and Pivot Charts
- Pivot Tables
- Pivot Charts
Intensive courses from happy
Intensive courses have been created specifically for those who need to learn a great deal of content at a faster pace. Each one is focused on increasing your productivity, and building a substantial expertise in just a single day. These courses will be longer, faster and more intensive than a standard classroom course. If you can keep up, the rewards will definitely be worth the effort.
Which Excel course is right for you?
Making sure you’ve booked the right course isn’t always easy.
Luckily we have a handy survey to help you decide.
And if you’re still unsure, call our friendly team on 020 7375 7300 and we’ll help you work out what you need.
Group Learning Events
If you have three or more learners, a private group course could be cheaper.
We can tailor the content to your team, and host the training at your workplace or here at Happy's HQ in Aldgate, Central London.
Emma Morgan189 days ago
Just the info I needed, great
What is it like to learn with Happy?
Our facilitators make learning interactive and fun. In this video, Maureen delivers a session on Formulas and Functions in Excel at Happy's HQ in London.
The Small Print
The course runs 9:30am to 5:15pm (lunch is served 1pm to 1:45pm — we offer a choice of 3 cold bowl dishes). Please be careful to arrive by 9:15am for registration and refreshments. The course will start precisely on time and it may not be possible to go back over material missed by late arrivals. If you arrive over 20 minutes late you may be asked to leave and attend another day.
Please ensure you read our Terms and Conditions before booking for our payment terms and cancellation policy.
The happy Guarantee
We want everyone to go away from our courses feeling as though they have learnt useful, practical skills that they can use straight away when they go back to work.
If you don’t feel that your training has been useful or if you are unhappy in any way, please get in touch with our Customer Services team within 30 days of the course. We will be happy to offer you additional support and training free of charge to help you to gain the skills you need, or if you’d prefer, a full refund.
Your post-course support package
- 2 years of free access to our IT Helpline
- Unlimited access - call or email our team as often as you need
- Ask about any content covered on your course
- Included in the price of our training sessions
Did you know...
...how to work with the right functions to analyse your large set of data?
This course will teach you techniques for speedy analysis and show you how to set up complex automated dashboards.
Happy also has a range of different level Excel courses. See below:
Beginner Excel Core Level 1 for anyone who has never used Excel before. Find out more
Intermediate Excel Core Level 2 to enable you to use time-saving techniques including Conditional Formatting, range names and formulas such as Average, Min, Max and Count IF. Find out more
Advanced Excel Core Level 3 to enable you to take functions further and be able to make them more powerful by nesting them. Find out more