Advanced Excel: Analysing Excel Data for Better Business Decisions
This Excel course is for learners that need to use Excel to quickly and effectively analyse data. The techniques range from those for speedy analysis to setting up complex automated dashboards.
This is an intensive advanced course for users who are ready to learn at a fast pace.
This course can be delivered in the classroom or remotely via GoToTraining. Contact us for availability and pricing, or see the Advanced Excel Live Online Learning page for our interactive 90-minute webinars that cover specific sessions.
What you will learn
By the end of this intensive, fast-paced course, you will be able to:
- Set out your data, and create charts, to provide the clearest possible picture of the meaning of the information
- Use conditional formatting to highlight and quickly identify the variety in results, the top 10, the top 10% and so on
- Use conditional formatting for traffic light colour coding – creating RAG highlighting (Red Amber Green)
- Quickly identify the key trends in the data using Pivot Tables
- Use filters, group selection and value field settings in Pivot Tables to quickly produce detailed analysis
- Use Slicers to filter the results of many Pivot Tables
- Example: Set up quarterly analysis of thousands of records in under a minute
- Solve the most common issues with importing data from large databases or other sources
- Automate the spread-sheet so updates only require a cut-and-paste
- Create interactive dashboards to display key information
- Use drop-down menus to enable others to extract information
- Add validation and criteria analysis
- Use data analysis functions to extract summary information
Before attending this course, you must be confident creating basic formulas from scratch, including using Absolute Cell References to fix a reference to a single piece of data. You should also be able to create a basic chart.
We recommend that you take our Excel Core Level 2 course first to ensure you have the skills required for this course, though this is not a requirement.
Session 1 — Data Presentation
- Principles for clear display of data
- Effective use of charts
Session 2 — Dealing with Imported Data
- Where does your data come from?
- Importing data
- Formatting Issues
- Text Functions to tidy your data
- VLOOKUP, IF
- If there's time: Index & Match
Session 3 — Extracting Meaning
- Using functions to summarise data
- Data Analysis Functions
- Conditional Formatting to highlight trends
Session 4 — Extracting Meaning with Pivot Tables and Pivot Charts
- Pivot Tables
- Pivot Charts
This course can be delivered in the classroom or remotely via GoToTraining. Contact us for availability and pricing, or see our Live Online Learning page for our interactive 90-minute webinars that cover specific sessions.
Intensive courses from happy
Intensive courses have been created specifically for those who need to learn a great deal of content at a faster pace. Each one is focused on increasing your productivity, and building a substantial expertise in just a single day. These courses will be longer, faster and more intensive than a standard classroom course. If you can keep up, the rewards will definitely be worth the effort.
Which Excel course is right for you?
Making sure you’ve booked the right course isn’t always easy.
Luckily we have a handy survey to help you decide.
And if you’re still unsure, call our friendly team on 020 7375 7300 and we’ll help you work out what you need.
Group Learning Events
If you have three or more learners, a private group course could be cheaper.
We can tailor the content to your team, and host the training remotely, at your workplace or here at Happy's HQ in Aldgate, Central London.
Hannah30 days ago
test test test test test test
What is it like to learn with Happy?
Our facilitators make learning interactive and fun. In this video, Maureen delivers a session on Formulas and Functions in Excel at Happy's HQ in London.
The Small Print
The course runs 9:30am to 5:15pm (lunch is served 1pm to 1:45pm — we offer a choice of 3 cold bowl dishes). Please be careful to arrive by 9:15am for registration and refreshments. The course will start precisely on time and it may not be possible to go back over material missed by late arrivals. If you arrive over 20 minutes late you may be asked to leave and attend another day.
Please ensure you read our Terms and Conditions before booking for our payment terms and cancellation policy.
The happy Guarantee
We want everyone to go away from our courses feeling as though they have learnt useful, practical skills that they can use straight away when they go back to work.
If you don’t feel that your training has been useful or if you are unhappy in any way, please get in touch with our Customer Services team within 30 days of the course. We will be happy to offer you additional support and training free of charge to help you to gain the skills you need, or if you’d prefer, a full refund.
In light of the current Coronavirus outbreak we want all of our customers to be reassured that we are operating with a ‘business as usual’ approach, while still ensuring that we maintain the highest standards of Health and Safety.
We are monitoring the situation closely and are following all current Government guidelines. We ask that if you are attending a course here (or if we are sending a trainer to your location) that you do the same.
If you have recently visited an affected area please follow the self-isolation guidelines which can be found here.
We have extra hygiene measures in place which include (but are not limited to):
- Anti-bacterial soap dispenser available in all loos
- Hand sanitizer gel available in our café area and training rooms
- Anti-bacterial surface cleaner and surface wipes available in all training rooms
- Sanitising work surfaces in all training rooms at the start of the day (including sanitising all PCs and PC keyboards at the start of all IT courses)
- Disposable plastic gloves are also available should you wish to use them during your visit
If you are unable to attend your course due to Coronavirus we have a number of alternative solutions we can offer you to still meet your training needs despite travel limitations – please get in touch with us to discuss a suitable solution. Potential solutions may mean sending a trainer to your location or delivering your training online.
If you are sick, have vulnerable health issues or are self-isolating do contact us. For this, we would be happy to rearrange your course at no extra cost or exchange the cost for vouchers. Vouchers at Happy are valid for 5 years from the date of issue.
We will continue to monitor the situation and will advise all of our clients if the situation changes.
Please speak to our friendly team if you have any further questions or concerns – we are available on 0207 375 7300 from 9am until 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Your post-course support package
- 2 years of free access to our IT Helpline
- Unlimited access - call or email our team as often as you need
- Ask about any content covered on your course
- Included in the price of our training sessions
Did you know...
...how to work with the right functions to analyse your large set of data?
This course will teach you techniques for speedy analysis and show you how to set up complex automated dashboards.
Happy also has a range of different level Excel courses. See below:
Beginner Excel Core Level 1 for anyone who has never used Excel before. Find out more
Intermediate Excel Core Level 2 to enable you to use time-saving techniques including Conditional Formatting, range names and formulas such as Average, Min, Max and Count IF. Find out more
Advanced Excel Core Level 3 to enable you to take functions further and be able to make them more powerful by nesting them. Find out more