In his blog on Pivot Perfection, Darren showed us how to easily produce a series of Pivot Tables for each category we want to filter on. Slicers make it easy to have one Pivot Table that can switch between different categories.
Let’s start with the same data that Darren used:
The next step is to add a Slicer:
- Go to the Options tab of the PivotTable Tools on the ribbon
- Click on Insert Slicer
3. Choose the field you want to filter on, in this case Department
4. Click OK
5. A Slicer box will appear on your worksheet:
6. Click on the category you are interested in, for example, the Design department
7. The Pivot Table will update to show the values for that category:
8. To change to a different category, just click on the appropriate value in the slicer box
9. To select multiple values, do a normal click on the first value, then control-click on the other values:
10. To clear the filter, click on the icon in the top-right corner of the Slicer box
11. You can move and re-size the Slicer box by clicking and dragging on the border of the box
This blog was written by Happy Trainer, Ian Balboa.
If you have any Excel questions or hints and tips you would like shared get in touch, use this link!
Remember – If you’ve been on a Happy Computers course you get 2 years free helpline access. Call the helpline on 020 7375 7373.