What You Will Learn
Imagine you are in charge of recruiting footballers for Manchester United, and that you have two candidates before you: John Motson and Cristiano Ronaldo. John Motson is a football commentator, who is great at talking about football but has never played the game at a serious level. Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the best footballers of his generation, but being articulate, about football or indeed anything, is not felt to be one of his strengths.
If you watched John and Cristiano play, there would be only one choice. But if you used the recruitment method used by most companies, getting people to talk about their ability in interviews, you would be likely to end up with John Motson being recruited as your new star player.
It is an absurd idea but it is exactly what happens in company recruitment every day. People are tested not on their ability to do a job, but on their ability to talk about it. It is not surprising that a lot of recruitment ends up appointing the wrong people for the job and then not confirming them in probation.
At Happy, we have developed a different approach to recruitment, which we will share with you on this one-day programme.
- Establish what enables people to work at their best
- Understand the difference between eligibility and suitability
- Get it right first time – understand why ending probation is a last resort
- Hire for attitude and train for skill
- Create job descriptions that reflect what’s needed – the behavioural requirements as well as the key skills
- Create a fantastic range of exercises to really test your applicants’ skills against their suitability for the job
- Improve your questioning and coaching skills to gain insight into your applicants
- Establish effective feedback mechanisms to your applicants, so that even unsuccessful applicants are left feeling positive
- Understand the value of a successful induction and what is needed to set up your new recruits’ to succeed
- Write, agree and review behavioural objectives in and beyond induction, and learn why these are as important as SMART objectives and how to do it well
- Your personal action plan.
Our approach to programme delivery
Every programme is designed to ensure complete individual involvement and participation, it will stimulate your thinking and challenge you. The key focus is on practical skills and real outcomes throughout. The content will involve an innovative and engaging blend of activities so that you can directly apply it to your current performance and your future success.
The course will run from 10am to 4:30pm (light cold buffet 1pm to 1:45pm). Please be careful to arrive by 9.45am for registration and refreshments. The course will start precisely on time and it may not be possible to go back over material missed by late arrivals. If you arrive over 30 minutes late you may be asked to leave and attend another day.
Please ensure you read our Terms and Conditions before booking for our payment terms and cancellation policy.
The Happy Guarantee
We want everyone to go away from our courses feeling as though they have learnt useful, practical skills that they can use straight away when they go back to work.
If you don’t feel that your training has been useful or if you are unhappy in any way, please just get in touch with our Customer Services team within 30 days of the course. We will be happy to offer you additional support and training free of charge to help you to gain the skills you need, or if you’d prefer, a full refund.
Your Course Trainer
Nicky has been a senior facilitator for over 16 years. Her leadership purpose is to support people to reach their full potential, and this has driven her internally as part of Happy’s senior leadership team. It has enabled her, through her work every day with clients, to facilitate senior leadership programmes and personal development events. Nicky also has a proven track record at leading on large projects and inspiring others as a speaker at conferences.