What You Will Learn
- To have an understanding of why some people are “difficult”
- To be able to identify different types of “difficult” behaviour
- To understand their own communication style and how that might contribute to “difficult” situations
- To identify ways to defuse, deflect or deal with situations where people are being difficult
- To be able to state their own position in an assertive, non-confrontational way
- To have identified coping mechanisms for themselves.
- Different styles of difficult behaviour
- Exploring methods to deal with the different styles
- Addressing the problem rather than the personality
- Assessing your own communication style
- Listening skills
- Win/win outcomes
- Looking from the other person’s perspective
- Body language
- Using questioning techniques
- Coping strategies
The course will run from 10am to 4:45pm (light cold buffet 1pm to 1:45pm). Please be careful to arrive by 9.45am for registration and refreshments. The course will start precisely on time and it may not be possible to go back over material missed by late arrivals. If you arrive over 30 minutes late you may be asked to leave and attend another day.
Please ensure you read our Terms and Conditions before booking for our payment terms and cancellation policy.
The Happy Guarantee
We want everyone to go away from our courses feeling as though they have learnt useful, practical skills that they can use straight away when they go back to work.
If you don’t feel that your training has been useful or if you are unhappy in any way, please just get in touch with our Customer Services team within 30 days of the course. We will be happy to offer you additional support and training free of charge to help you to gain the skills you need, or if you’d prefer, a full refund.
Your Course Trainers
Paul Gapper is a Masters qualified trainer with experience in interpersonal skills, work skills and management training. He has worked in the public, private and voluntary sectors for over fifteen years. Paul has a Distinction in the Institute of Personnel Development Training Certificate and the teacher-training certificate for Mindfulness-Based Approaches from the Oxford Mindfulness Centre.
Janet has a background in psychology and has been working as a freelance trainer since 2004. She joined the team at Happy in 2010.
Frances is a management and communication skills trainer and executive coach, with 30 years experience of working in the public, private and voluntary sectors. Frances has a level 7 certificate in executive coaching and leadership mentoring with the Institute of Leadership and Management and a certificate in training practice with the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development. Frances uses training, coaching and facilitation techniques to create a supportive, empowering and interactive learning environment, enabling participants to develop the skills and confidence they need to maximise their own and their organisation’s potential.