Originally set up as Happy Computers by founder Henry Stewart, it was established to make learning about IT an enjoyable experience and to discover how to create a truly great place to work. Happy Computers developed quite a reputation – rated one of the UK’s top five workplaces for five successive years.
Since 2003, Happy has developed a range of management and leadership programmes, so it could bring Happy’s management style and philosophy to other organisations.
- IT training – high quality, learner-focused IT training online or in the classroom to develop your skills, confidence and productivity.
- Leadership and Management programmes – training, consultancy and coaching services for first-time managers to Director and CEO level on how to create a work culture based on staff engagement, trust and autonomy.
- Personal Development training – this private or public classroom training is designed to help develop the skills needed to be happier and more productive both at work and at home. Covering topics like assertiveness and how to better manage time and stress, these courses provide the basis for creating happier workspaces, fundamentally: learning how to fulfil your potential, to be your best self.
- eLearning solutions – we can create a range of formal and informal bespoke digital training courses for any subject or specialism. For example, anti-bribery training or online induction courses.
- Apprenticeship schemes – train the next generation of web developers with our Level 4 Web Developer Apprenticeship scheme. Invest in your first-time managers with a one-year programme of training and support through our Level 3 First-Time Manager 12-Month Development Scheme. We have also launched a new Leading Change development scheme, for anyone who wants high-level influencing skills to bring about change in any sector. All are funded by the Apprenticeship Levy and the Skills Funding Agency.
At our core, we care about you and where you work.
At Happy, we help you and your people to be the best version of themselves and create happy, productive workplaces.
Our core values:
Help people feel good about themselves
People who feel happy and confident are more likely to try new things. They are more likely to form effective teams. They are better equipped to face challenges. The key to being a great manager is to help people feel good about themselves.
Believe the best and trust others
When we get annoyed with people for being ‘stupid’ or ‘slow’, we are in fact getting annoyed with our own inability to pass on information easily. Recognising our own shortcomings, we should trust that people always do the best they can. ‘Mental blocks’ offer us the opportunity to find new ways to overcome them.
Create customer delight
We aim not just to give ‘customer satisfaction’, but to delight customers and exceed expectations with every interaction.
We also offer a full money-back guarantee on every product. If you don’t feel your training has been useful or if you are unhappy in any way, please get in touch with our Customer Services team within 30 days. We will be happy to offer you additional support and training free of charge to gain the skills you need or, if you’d prefer, a full refund.
We’re conditioned from an early age to scold or punish mistakes. However, mistakes are the greatest way of learning! Training and managing should encourage people to try something new. The best way to be bold is to minimise fear of failure and to celebrate mistakes.
Make the world a better place
We are committed to supporting the local community, offering free IT training, support and consultancy sessions to charities through our Timebank scheme. We also offer discounted rates for charities, with our public Soft Skills courses available from just £95 + VAT per person.
Henry Stewart, Founder, CEO and Chief Happiness Officer
Following a fairly disastrous job early on in his career, Henry was determined to discover what enabled a productive and happy workplace. In 1987 Henry set up what was originally called Happy Computers. Inspired by Ricardo Semler’s book Maverick, he built a company with a reputation for some of the best customer service in the country and one of the UK’s best places to work, winning multiple awards for its culture and philosophy.
Taking it to the next level, Henry worked with Cathy Busani to develop Happy People, management and leadership training programmes that help others create their own Happy workplaces. He went on to write two books: Relax: A Happy Business Story and the Happy Manifesto. Henry has been included in the Guru Radar section of the Thinkers50 list of the most influential business thinkers in the world.
You can read more about Happy and it’s beginnings in Henry’s own words, in this blog – 30 Years of Happiness.
Cathy Busani, Group Managing Director
Cathy passionately believes that people work best when they feel good about themselves. This attitude – to help others feel great – led her from her start as IT trainer at Happy in 1995 to being voted manager by the training team after just six months. Soon after, she became Managing Director. In 2003, she co-founded Happy People, our management and leadership training programmes.
Responsible today for maintaining Happy’s award-winning culture, Cathy provides external executive mentoring and coaching, enabling managers to create happy workplaces and become leaders of choice. In addition, she facilitates a range of client events and team training days. Cathy is an impassioned speaker at conferences and enjoys supportively challenging those she works with to raise their game, step up and bring the best version of themselves. She co-authored Relax: A Happy Business Story.
Awards and Recognition
2018 Feefo Gold Service Award, an independent seal of excellence that recognises businesses for delivering exceptional experiences, as rated by real customers – read more on our blog
Listed on the WorldBlu List of Freedom-Centered Workplaces™ 2017 – read more on Henry’s blog
2017 Finalist: Paul Gapper, Learning Professional of the Year, Learning & Performance Institute, 2017 Learning Awards (full details here)
2016 Finalist: Maureen Egbe, Learning Professional of the Year, Learning & Performance Institute, 2016 Learning Awards
2016 Finalist: Happy Ltd, External Learning Programme with Epic CIC, Learning & Performance Institute, 2016 Learning Awards (read about this project here)
Listed on WorldBlu: List of Freedom-Centered Workplaces™ 2016 (see the full list and details here)